Wednesday, November 23, 2011

In God Alone








In God alone is my soul at rest,
my help comes from him.
He alone is my rock, my stronghold,
my fortress: I stand firm.


This quatrain appears at the beginning and in the middle of Psalm 62, part of tonight's Evening Prayer. Since we are supposed to observe a brief pause at the end of each psalm to reflect a bit, this a a great verse to "take away" with us from the psalm. You could  focus on the rock-stronghold-fortress image, visualizing a high cliff or an impregnable castle.  Draw out the implications: God is that Place of protection and safety, but besides resting safely in the fortress, we also must fight from that place of strength against the enemy.

The other way to think on this verse is to focus on the word "Alone". In God ALONE....He ALONE...
I've got to stop trying to rely on secondary sources for peace  and protection.  Nothing else will cure the restless heart. Nothing else will take away my sins. He Alone.

The New testament canticle from Colossians is a nice followup, explaining precisely why God alone is our safety and our strength. He rescued us from the power of darkness...all were created through him....in him everything continues in being...He is before all else that is...it pleased God to reconcile everything in his person, making peace through the blood of his cross.  It's a catalog of all that is truly important, of all the only things that matter. The things we must focus on, with hope, whatever else may be crashing down around us.